Star roar back to dump Dunoon

Want to read more?

We value our content, so access to our full site is only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

SAFL Jimmy Marshall Cup Group D

Lochgilphead Red Star 6-3 Dunoon Ams

Red Star bounced back from poor starts to both halves to see off Dunoon in a nine-goal thriller at the Lochgilphead Joint Campus.

The match on Saturday May 29 was less than two minutes old when the visitors took the lead after a cross into the box was cleared as far as their midfielder, who hammered home an excellent strike from 25 yards out.

Star didn’t panic, and responded with a fine finish of their own as Lee MacLean slotted the ball home from the edge of the box to level matters eight minutes into the contest.

The home side edged in front after 20 minutes when Coll McCallum powered home a header after an excellent corner delivery from Ciaran McPhie. Dunoon got themselves level at the interval after slack play in the Star midfield allowed the visitors the chance to break and equalise after a well-worked move.

The second half began in disastrous fashion for Star as they conceded after young keeper Jake Weir misjudged a cross ball and it fell kindly to the Dunoon forward who finished from close range for his second goal of the day.

Star remained 2-3 down until the last 25 minutes when they got control of the game again. After creating a number of chances the ball finally fell to Stuart MacLean, who kept up his excellent goal-scoring record in Argyll derbies by finishing well into the top corner.

Star edged themselves back in front again soon after. This time the ball fell to Aaron Moore 10 yards out and the captain hammered home, much to the relief of the Star bench.

Dunoon tried to battle back yet again but Star were well in command now and added well taken goals by Chris Hart, who came off the bench and made an excellent impact, before Gregor McGeachy finished the scoring off late on to secure a 6-3 victory for the RJD-sponsored Lochgilphead side.

Red Star round off their group campaign on Saturday June 5 with the visit of rivals Tarbert in what will surely prove a closely-fought derby match. The game is at the joint campus 3G pitch with a 1pm kick off.