Star return to action with away win

Want to read more?

We value our content, so access to our full site is only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now
SAFL Jimmy Marshall Cup Group D
Cardross AFC 1-4 Lochgilphead Red Star

Lochgilphead Red Star travelled to Station Park, Cardross last Saturday to play their first competive match since February last year in the rearranged Jimmy Marshall Cup group stage.

In an understandably tense opening 10 minutes, both sides looked slightly nervous as the teams got to grips with the game after the long lay-off. It was Star who took the lead after 12 minutes when Ciaran McPhie was quick to capitalise on a slip from the Cardross defender before racing clear and finishing emphatically past the home side’s keeper. 0-1.

Star lost the services of Callum McGuinness after just 18 minutes thanks to a groin strain so manager Colin Weir opted to give Euan Finlay the nod up front for the remainder of the game.

Star should have doubled their lead before the break when Joseph Harper released Stuart MacLean, who found his effort blocked.

The rebound fell to McPhie, who missed the target from just inside the box, citing a bobble for the misplaced effort and it remained 0-1 at the break.

Into the second half and Red Star doubled their lead when Ciaran McPhie won a free kick on the edge of the box after a bizarre incident involving dissent from the Cardross keeper.

McPhie stepped up and took the free kick himself, finding the back of the net with the aid of a deflection off the goalkeeper to make it 0-2.

Star were in control now and added a third after some neat play involving Stuart MacLean and Euan Finlay. Finlay this time finding the bottom corner with a neat finish for his first Red Star goal.

Cardross kept battling and gave themselves a glimmer of hope with 15 minutes remaining when they were awarded a penalty after Star failed to clear their lines. 1-3.

The last goal of the match was the best, with an excellent passing move begun by Jake Weir in goals, worked through to Lee MacLean in midfield before eventually falling to Stuart MacLean, who got the goal that his all-round play deserved.

Star saw out the game in relative comfort with the back three of Coll McCallum, Aaron Moore and Andy Weir remaining resolute throughout.

Red Star welcome Dunoon Ams tomorrow, Saturday May 29, to Lochgilphead Joint Campus for their second of three group matches.

Kick-off is at 1pm, with local whistler Jimmy Litster in charge.