Star reach last eight of league cup

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income.

In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.  The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thanks you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time

We value our content, so access to our full site is only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now
SAFL Centenary Cup – Section 8
Lochgilphead Red Star 6-3 Dunoon

Red Star played their final Centenary Cup group match on Saturday and ensured their progression to the quarter finals with a deserved win over a battling Dunoon side at the Joint Campus 3G.

Some good play early on saw Red Star take the lead thanks to Ian McGuinness after Andy Weir cut the ball across from the right hand side to open the scoring.

The hosts continued to dominate and doubled their lead after Joseph Harper got on to the end of another delivery to score his first goal for the club.

Dunoon got themselves a lifeline on the stroke of half time when a misplaced goal kick allowed the visitors forward the chance to score past Jake Weir in the Star goal to make the score 2-1 at the break.

Star didn’t let this setback get to them and added further goals from Ian McGuinness and Andy Weir to increase the lead before Dunoon hit back after Star failed to clear a free kick making it 4-2 with half an hour to play.

Stuart MacLean continued his fine goal scoring run with his fourth goal in three games to put Star back in command, but Dunoon responded once again to make the score 5-3.

The Lochgilphead side were on top throughout, however, and got a sixth goal as Gregor McGeachy was on hand to finish after Cammy MacDonald’s effort was saved by the keeper.

Star finished their group campaign with three wins from three to set up a quarter-final with Inverclyde AFC later in the season.

Red Star are scheduled to start their league campaign on Saturday August 31 with an away fixture in Paisley against Carlton YMCA.