Honours even for Red Star in Argyll derby

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income.

In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall, However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.  The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thanks you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time

We value our content, so access to our full site is only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

The Ropework played host to this keenly contested local derby which was watched by a healthy crowd on Saturday February 16.

And for the second time this season, Red Star and Campbeltown Pupils shared the points in a match both sides will feel they could have won.

Both sides were struggling for fluency in the opening stages but Red Star settled first and grabbed the opening goal after 17 minutes. A long ball to the right hand side was met by Ryan Caskie who cut the ball back to Stuart McLean. The youngster took a touch before slotting past the Pupils’ goalkeeper to give Star a 1-0 lead.

Star continued to press and doubled their lead when Coll McCallum robbed the Pupils’ defender on the edge of the box before cutting the ball across goal. The unfortunate Pupils’ defender could only divert the ball into the empty net, with McLean waiting on a tap in. The game continued at a frantic pace, however, there was no further scoring in the first half and Star went in with a 2-0 advantage.

Pupils came out with purpose in the second half as they looked to force themselves back into the game, however, it was a howler from Red Star which allowed them back into the match.

A square ball across the back resulted in a mix-up between Star keeper Luke Kalache and defender Ben Forbes which allowed Donald McCallum to prod the ball home from just inside the box and Pupils were back in the game at 2-1 with eight second half minutes gone.

The home side didn’t recover from this and you could sense a nervousness that gave the visitors plenty encouragement. The equaliser arrived with 20 minutes remaining when good play from Pupils down the right by Soudan saw him get a low cross in which was met by the on-rushing run of Ryan Deans and he finished well to level the score at 2-2.

This set up a frantic finish and both sides could have nicked it towards the end. Pupils went close with a headed effort which was clawed to safety while at the other end there was a goalmouth scramble which Star couldn’t convert and both sides had to settle for a draw in the end as referee Jimmy Litster blew for full time.

Red Star were dealt a blow as it emerged that captain Aaron Moore suffered a dislocated shoulder. Hopefully this will not keep him out for too long.

On Saturday February 23, Star have another important home game as they look to move off the bottom of the table when they take on Claremont AFC. The game will be played at the Ropework or Joint Campus 3G – weather permitting – with a 2pm kick off.