Red Star youth team scoops league and cup double

The winning Red Star 2004s

Want to read more?

We value our content, so access to our full site is only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now
DYFL League Cup Final
Glasgow Red Star 0 – Lochgilphead Red Star 1

Lochgilphead Red Star 2004s have secured their second DYFL League Cup.

In a very tight and competitive game with Glasgow Red Star on Sunday June 3 the Lochgilphead boys eventually triumphed by a goal to nil.

Lochgilphead kicked off the game and started brightly by keeping Glasgow Red Star pinned in their own half, eventually creating a chance for Alexander McLean, but the ball was cleared for a corner.

As the first half wore on Glasgow Red Star began to get more of the ball and started to put Lochgilphead under a bit of pressure but could not find a way through a defence well marshalled by Gregor Brown.

As the game headed to half time, Lochgilphead created another chance with a fine run and cross on the right by Ruaridh Green but Glasgow Red Star cleared the resulting corner.
Lochgilphead started the second half brightly with Conner McMurchy flashing a shot across the goal which just drifted wide. A fine break down the left by full back Zak Barclay heaped more pressure on the Glasgow team but still they held out.

A goal eventually came when after a period of pressure by Lochgilphead. They won a throw-in deep in the Glasgow Red Star half, taken by Craig Aitken. After playing a neat one-two with Woody Hoad, Craig sent in a teasing cross for Keiran Caskie to glance past the Glasgow Red Star keeper.
The final 15 minutes was a tense affair. Glasgow Red Star fought back, only to be thwarted first by Tom West and then again by Innes Paterson. When they did get through they found goalkeeper Leon Murphy in excellent form with some good stops and great kicking throughout the afternoon.

Lochgilphead introduced Jamie Stewart and Ciaran Gibson who helped freshen things up and work hard to close the game out.

Special mention to subs Lee Harris, just returning from injury, and the ever reliable Calum Paterson.

At the end of the game the Lochgilphead boys were presented with the League Cup and also the League Championship for 2004 age group teams to make it a double celebration.

With three games still left to play the boys are looking to make it through the season with only one league defeat.