Loch Awe algae warning as dogs fall ill

dig

Want to read more?

We value our content, so access to our full site is  only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?

 

Subscribe Now

After a prolonged spell of warm weather, toxic algae has been found in Loch Awe after sampling by Scotland’s environment watchdog.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) said: ‘We have confirmed the presence of blue-green algae at a location in Loch Awe.’

Confirmation of the algal ‘bloom’ came after a number of dogs fell ill after swimming in the southern reaches of the loch, near the village of Ford.

Argyll and Bute Council has erected warning signs around the loch and advises people ‘to avoid contact with the water there at this time’.

More to follow in the Argyllshire Advertiser.