Inveraray exit Macaulay Cup after Kyles defeat

Want to read more?

We value our content, so access to our full site is  only available on subscription.

Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device.

And there’s more – your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now
Artemis Macaulay Cup – first round

Kyles Athletic 3 Inveraray 0

With improvement work at Kames Playing Field, Kyles have yet to play on their home pitch this season, with another three-month delay anticipated before it will be playable.

This tie was played at Strachurmore. The first goal came on 25 minutes after a period of Kyles pressure when Roddy MacDonald drove the ball home from 18 yards.

Macaulay Cup holders Kyles added a second three minutes later with a 20-yard strike from Grant Irvine, who went on to add his second, and his team’s third, 20 minutes into the second half.

Irvine had the ball in the net later in the half, but his effort was ruled offside.

Inveraray threatened in the first half but Kyles’ keeper John Whyte saved well with his foot from a long-range drive from Lewis MacNicol.

Kyles’ reward is a trip to Oban Celtic in the quarter finals.

Aberdein Considine Sutherland Cup – second round

Lovat 1 Strachur 1

After extra time. Strachur won 3-2 on penalties

Marine Harvest South Division 2 leaders Strachur edged out the Lovat second team, top of Marine Harvest North Division 2, on penalties after their Balgate tie finished 1-1 after extra time.

Ally Mirrlees gave Strachur the lead on 18 minutes, with the goal mistakenly credited to veteran strike partner Davy Limbert, but Raymond Rennie equalised on 31 minutes.

Stout defending by the Cowal men, who travelled with a depleted team, kept out a lively Lovat side and, with no further scoring in extra time, it went to penalties.

Strachur ran out 3-2 winners after some fine goalkeeping by Ross MacDonald. They will face Fort William in the quarter finals at Strachurmore on June 9 .

Strathglass w/o v Inveraray

Inveraray juniors were unable to raise a team for their trip to Cannich so Strathglass were given free passage into the quarter finals.


Inveraray’s Allan MacDonald gets his block in on Gordon Whyte of Kyles Athletic. Photograph: Stephen Lawson. no_a19ShintyKylesInv_Lawson06