Beauly dent Aray hopes as Kilmory crush Kyles

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Argyllshire Advertiser – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Marine Harvest National Division

Beauly 3 Inveraray 2

Inveraray’s promotion hopes are hanging by a thread after they lost 3-2 to Beauly at Braeview Park.

Daniel Lamont put Beauly ahead on 22 minutes and Sean Stewart made it 2-0 on 36 minutes.

Inveraray came storming back, though, and Fraser Watt netted twice – on the stroke of half-time and again on 48 minutes – to make it 2-2.

Jack MacDonald grabbed what proved to be the winner when he made it 3-2 on 53 minutes.

Beauly go fourth in the division and Inveraray drop to fifth with their promotion chances now looking remote.

Marine Harvest South Division 1

Kilmory 6 Kyles Athletic 1

The meeting between the Kyles Athletic second team and Kilmory was switched to MacRae Park on Friday afternoon as the field at Tighnabruaich was unplayable.

Kilmory took full advantage to go fourth in the table following a convincing win.

Kilmory got off to a great start with Alister MacArthur on target in the opening minute.

Hal Jones made it 2-0 on 15 minutes and Duncan MacBrayne added a third five minutes later.

Andy Cunningham on 22 minutes and Alex Cunningham on 28 minutes made it 5-0.

Hal Jones got his second on 29 minutes to make it 6-0 and things looked bleak for Kyles.

Youngster Jack Whyte pulled a goal back on 33 minutes to make it 6-1 and complete the scoring.

Marine Harvest Premiership

Kingussie 3 Kyles Athletic 6

Kyles Athletic returned to the top of the Marine Harvest Premiership but they had to come from two goals down before eventually defeating Kingussie 6-3 at the Dell.

Kingussie’s Chris Holleysong missed from the penalty spot after 10 minutes but the hosts built a 2-0 lead courtesy of two well-taken Ryan Borthwick goals on 20 and 40 minutes.

However, perhaps crucially, Dunkie Kerr, who had come off the bench to replace Scott MacDonald, pulled a goal back a minute later and Sandy MacKenzie scored on the stroke of half-time to make it 2-2 at the break.

Kyles Athletic talisman Roddy MacDonald started at wing back before later switching to full back where he stayed for the remainder of the game.

The Tighnabruaich men were excellent during the second 45 minutes and the impressive Grant Irvine put them ahead for the first time in the match on the hour mark and Sandy MacKenzie got his second just four minutes later.

Colin MacDonald made it 5-2 on 71 minutes and Grant Irvine got his second with 9 minutes remaining.

Rory MacGregor pulled a goal back to make it 6-3 on 86 minutes but the points went south.

James Perlich’s side now lead Kinlochshiel on goal difference at the top of the table with both sides having four games to go. Next up for Kyles is a trip to Balgate to play Camanachd Cup finalists, Lovat.