Inveraray’s experience wins Bullough Cup

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Argyllshire Advertiser – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Strachur 0 Inveraray 3

Inveraray won the Bullough Cup after an exciting final at Strachurmore Sports Centre.

The sides occupy the top two positions in Marine Harvest South Division 2 and each beat good teams on the way to the final.

A large crowd gathered for the game with the majority supporting Strachur, though the yellow and black contingent made their presence felt.

Strachur made the better start and they were certainly up for the game.

Inveraray full centre David MacPherson and his opposite number Stuart Robertson – the pair were formerly Inveraray team mates – had an enthralling battle in the middle of the park.

Not for the first time in his career, Inveraray had keeper and player/manager Graham MacPherson to thank for some good stops as Strachur applied the pressure in the final minutes of the first period -in particular a reflex save from a deflected shot which he tipped acrobatically over the bar as it looped over his head.

A hugely entertaining first half ended goalless, with Strachur giving as good as they got against an Inveraray team with experience in every key position.

MacPherson made what was to prove to be a significant change for the second half, bringing Euan McMurdo off the bench in place of Kenny Kirkhope with the youthful Campbell Watt going onto the wing.

The change paid dividends just five minutes into the second half when David Robertson scored from the edge of the D after some sweeping forward play.

Inveraray confidence grew, and Campbell Watt set up Euan McMurdo to make it 2-0 on 68 minutes.

Seasoned hitman Russell McKinlay made sure of the win a couple of minutes later when he added a third with a well-struck shot following a set piece.

Strachur fought hard for the whole 90 minutes and can be delighted with the strides the club has taken this season after a one-year sabbatical from competitive senior shinty.

The winning Inveraray squad had nine over 34-year-old players, including seven Camanachd Cup winners, with most of the others under 21.

Camanachd Association Chieftain Jock Turner was on hand to present the Bullough Cup to 18-year-old Inveraray captain Allan Cameron.

The sides return to Strachurmore this coming Saturday for a crucial league clash.